Name:
Location: Minneapolis

I am the author of Paper Boat (New Rivers Press) and the forthcoming Slip (New Issues Press), both books of poetry. I teach English at Century College, workout at the Blaisdell Y, keep bees at our place up north, and mother my grown daughters as much as they'll let me.

Monday, March 14, 2005

Almost the Ides of March

Last week, on Tuesday, three gunmen opened fire on a bank in Monteverde, a beautiful and peaceful little town here. Two of them were killed in the initial shooting, but one made it inside the bank and took hostages. Before it was all over, 9 people were killed and 17 injured. The surviving would-be-robber surrendered to police after holding hostages for 28 hours. The assailants were from a Nicaraguan gang that police think had robbed several banks in Costa Rica in the past year.

Aside from the violence and shock of such a thing happening in so small and peaceful a place as Monteverde, what strikes me about this event is how I managed to miss it entirely. In my house I have cable t.v., and I watch CNN occasionally. From that news broadcast I gathered that what had happened in the world last week was that Michael Jackson's trial began. That's about it. I try to watch Spanish-speaking tv shows sometimes, for practice listening, but I haven't found the local news on tv yet. And of course, the international press doesn't seem to pay much attention to Central America, as far as I can tell. I must get better at picking up the local papers, because it wasn't until last night, reading Friday's edition of the Tico Times--an English language weekly--that I fully understood the story.

I am getting very tired of my continued suckiness in Spanish. I just can't speak. I open my mouth in class and little squeaks of words creep out. At first I was sort of amused by this, but now I am just tired of it. Today I was thinking of something, and realized that instead of trying to find the Spanish word for it, I was thinking of the French word. This is alarming when you understand that I know about 28 French words. "Moi?" Si. Oh, it's a bad, bad jumble in my head right now. I have at least mastered the daily "Coma esta?" "Muy bien, y usted?" that greets me when I get to school. And the very nice woman who sells the coffee always smiles so kindly to me when I say "gracias", responding, "con mucho gusto." But oh, verbs. My teacher almost clapped aloud today when I said "mis ojos son azul" because I used the right form of the verb, but I don't think she knew that I had just read it on a handout. I did not generate that verb form on my own. I could do that, had I about three minutes to think things through. Unfortunately, conversation at school moves more quickly than that and in the real world moves so fast that I give up, resorting to my happy little phrases.

So, in summary, this shit is hard. My sister had an incredible gift for languages. My brother seems to. And me? I got zip. Nada. Ah, what can you do?

Et tu, Brute? Oh wait, that's for tomorrow. And it's sure not Spanish.

take care, all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home