Name:
Location: Minneapolis

I am the author of Paper Boat (New Rivers Press) and the forthcoming Slip (New Issues Press), both books of poetry. I teach English at Century College, workout at the Blaisdell Y, keep bees at our place up north, and mother my grown daughters as much as they'll let me.

Thursday, February 17, 2005

oh my

Two days to go and then I'm on my way, though last night I dreamed that I was there and being shown around a completely empty apartment where I was supposed to live for the next 9 weeks. No, I don't have anxiety.

But really I think I'm pretty close to ready. If I get any nuttier about things (how many razor blades will I need? Should I bring food for breakfast on Sunday?) my family will not be the least bit ambivilent about my leaving, they'll just be relieved.

In the meantime, the list of tasks to do/items to buy grows shorter and more puzzling. The CAPA person said we'll need a flashlight. A flashlight? Really? Or just maybe? An expensive small one from the Eddie Bauer selection at Target? Or the cheaper big ones I couldn't find at Target? Do I really need it? Someone else suggested I bring bubblewrap, but I can't remember why and I can't figure out how it'd be worth the space in my luggage. And a travel alarm. 20 bucks? Will I need to wake up that much? I don't know. Locks for my luggage? Forget things like all those shots, too, as I didn't get any and now it's too late. Malaria? Well, let's just hope that 100% deet stuff I got doesn't kill me AND keeps the disease-laden bugs away.

In rereading this I realize that nothing is more boring than someone else's anxieties. Except maybe someone else's dreams, and I've covered that too.

So, next post from Costa Rica. I will be to say, when I get there:
Me llamo Cullen. Tengo uno perro y dos gatos. Donde es el banos?

that's about all. wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home