Name:
Location: Minneapolis

I am the author of Paper Boat (New Rivers Press) and the forthcoming Slip (New Issues Press), both books of poetry. I teach English at Century College, workout at the Blaisdell Y, keep bees at our place up north, and mother my grown daughters as much as they'll let me.

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Monkeys

We went to Manuel Antonio national park on Thursday and it looks like paradise. The paradise one always imagines--jungles falling steeply to the sea, little islands dotting the horizon. The only surprising thing is how hot and humid paradise is. Truly, playing in the waves (which were warm and big) didn't cool me down at all. I emerged from the ocean wet, sticky with salt, and still hot. As a girl who's used to the ocean as it is in Maine, I found this disconcerting. But nice.

Then we had a whole group of howler monkeys outside our hotel room. There must have been about 30-40 of them, climbing around in the tree, making the most amazing noise. My brother said it sounds to him like the sound when you froth milk on the cappachino machine. I think they just sound like monsters. But cuter. Then in the park itself we saw squirrel monkeys, who are tiny and fast, and capuchin (sp?) monkeys with white faces. Those were the really curious ones. Not curious about us, I think, but curious about what potentially delicious foods we might have with us. Mama monkeys with babies on their backs. The whole experience was stunning. But did I say it was hot?

Now back in Alajuela where yesterday the wind started to blow and so last night was a delicious, almost chilly evening. Chilly like a late August Minnesota evening where you don't need a sweater but might want a light blanket on the bed. Perfect.

My brother and his wife left today. They spent the week on the Caribbean coast and loved it. They, and I am jealous, saw two sloths. Two! I will be on the lookout when I get over there in a few weeks.

Otherwise all is well. I had a funny conversation with a cab driver who forever endeared himself to me by being clearly shocked when I told him, in my broken Spanish, that I am 40. His English matched my Spanish, but we managed well enough. Only later did I realize that I had forgotten every single verb I know, and so was reduced to ridiculous phrases that required his common sense to make sense. So I said "Spanish school" and "my husband" and the like, but I was just totally verb-less. Lying in bed that night, I went over and over all the things I might have in fact been able to say, but oh well. I am learning a lot about the difference between book smarts and street smarts, let me tell you. Smilingly understanding my Spanish teacher is way different than comprehending the glaring woman at the grocery store. Luckily, as I've said before, most people here are exceedingly patient.

Julie wins the contest! There wasn't really a contest, but I thought I'd make it sound fun. She sent my first piece of mail and it was such a happy surprise to receive it. Thanks, Julie! (Should I mention that no one else seems to be in the contest?) The next winner will be whoever sends me a bottom to my bathing suit, which I left at the hot springs at Arenal. Black bikini bottom. Size 8..... Just kidding. I do have another suit but it was a poor poor choice one sad afternoon last summer and in it I don't look 40, I look closer to 60. It has red flowers. And a padded bra. Hideous. Really.

I do get email and such here, so keep in touch. And take care in whatever weather system you are currently enduring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home