Name:
Location: Minneapolis

I am the author of Paper Boat (New Rivers Press) and the forthcoming Slip (New Issues Press), both books of poetry. I teach English at Century College, workout at the Blaisdell Y, keep bees at our place up north, and mother my grown daughters as much as they'll let me.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

reflexive verbs

Ah, yes. Reflexive verbs. I get the concept but I don't like it. Or maybe I should say I think I get the concept and mostly, since I learned it this morning, I have forgotten. I excel at forgetting. My Spanish teacher for the past two weeks, Julio, is truly one of the most patient and gifted teachers I've ever met, but miracles are rare and I did not, unfortunately, suddenly develop an ability for languages. Still, in six days we've worked through present, future and progressive tenses. No wonder I feel so dazed.

Then after four hours of Spanish, I taught this afternoon for three and half more hours. My students are really working hard and I am so appreciative of their effort in spite of their exhaustion. We loved Dario's "To Roosevelt" which contains the following, particularly relevant stanza:

You think that life is fire,
that progress is eruption,
that the future is wherever
your bullet strikes.
No.


Just more proof that things change less than we imagine.

Today when I got on the dulce nombre bus, the driver said something to me, twice, and finally just shoved a lot of coins into my hand. I must have given him too much money, but who knows. I imagined all those Costa Ricans just shaking their heads at me, but in fact I think they weren't paying much attention. When I got off at my stop, I passed a man on the corner selling onions. Further down the street was the chicken party. I call it that because those chickens always sound so festive. I don't know if they are enjoying themselves as much as I imagine, but I like walking past all the commotion.

And now I've completed two weeks of work here. I leave tomorrow for my first trip to the sea: my dad, stepmom and I are headed to Manuel Antonio where monkeys will steal your backpack from the beach if you're not careful. I can't wait.

1 Comments:

Blogger julie said...

My dear friend Cullen,

I love hearing what you have to say and I love hearing the way you say it. Your voice is there in the blog postings, your real over-a-glass-of-wine voice, and I don't miss you so much when I can hear your voice.

Julie

March 5, 2005 at 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home