Name:
Location: Minneapolis

I am the author of Paper Boat (New Rivers Press) and the forthcoming Slip (New Issues Press), both books of poetry. I teach English at Century College, workout at the Blaisdell Y, keep bees at our place up north, and mother my grown daughters as much as they'll let me.

Monday, April 18, 2005

like a good neighbor; or, scorpion redux

So I'm sitting on my couch, feet up on it, luckily, when out from under the TV table strolls a very large scorpion. It heads for under the couch. It is big. If my last scorpion was maybe three inches, this one was easily four, probably four and a half. Right underneath me, casual as you please. Once it disappeared completely, I ran next door, summoned Kerry and her brother-in-law Tom (visiting from Chisholm, MN, land without scorpions) and they rushed over, Kerry with her camera and can of bug spray, Tom with a tennis shoe. Tom pulled the couch back, smashed the scorpion with his shoe and all was well. Then, as consolation (and so everyone will know why she is such a delightful neighbor), Kerry brought me a glass of wine to calm my nerves. I don't feel so much shaky as defeated: get me back to Minnesota, por favor. So here I sit, wine in hand, feet up on the coffee table, maintaining a serious level of alertness. Many people have explained that scorpion bites won't kill. This is not all that comforting, especially when followed by "your legs might feel numb for a few hours" or "the pain might be excruciating." You can believe that I won't forget my nightly scorpion-check-in-the-sheets routine.
The good news is: only one June bug (or whatever the hell they are) tonight. Those are harmless, of course, but unwieldy and annoying. And a glass of wine before bed. All will be well. All will be well. All manner of things will be well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home